Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Burgers

     My favorite meal has always been hamburgers.  You might find that kind of odd, but to have a burger is not just a slab of beef between some bread, it represents home, safety and comfort.  Especially when I was younger, I was a very picky eater.  I only ate a certain few dishes, and I was totally uninterested in trying something new.  So whenever I was outside, eating out became a concern.  My solution; McDonald's.  Yes, it's true, it seems unthinkable to me now, but back then I loved McDonald's.  It was always the same, a couple of regular hamburgers, those addictive fries, and a soda.  Basic meal, always filling, it seemed to satisfy a basic need.  To this day, when I see the golden arches, I feel like I should get some Micky D's.  But these days, in an effort to be healthier, and because my taste has improved, my search for the best burgers has led me to three choices depending on your budget:  Upscale choice; Bar 11.  Midscale choice; J.G. Melon's, Affordable and delivery choice; Jackson Hole. 
    Bar 11 is on 6th ave and 11th street.  It is an upscale bistro with a beautiful mirrored bar in front and a skylight topped back section that feels old fashioned and hip at the same time.  The fact that you can even get a burger in a place like this makes me smile.  I like to get a bottle of Veuve Cliquot to go with some strawberries and cream.  It's nicely presented, and guests are always suitably impressed.  The burger is basic, with high quality beef, bun and garnishings of lettuce and tomato.  But here it is the french fries that set the experience apart.  The fries are from fresh, real (not frozen) potatoes and are cooked in fresh oil.  Sounds so simple, but there are precious few restaurants anywhere that actually offer non frozen fries.  Expect to spend over $75.
    J.G. Melon's is on 74th and 3rd Ave.  This Melon themed burger joint is a staple of the Upper East Side and it's hard to get a table here without waiting at least an hour at peak times, the service is painfully slow at the best of times, so don't let yourself get too hungry before showing up here.  It's basically a Bar/Restaurant with a melon theme in the dark green color of the paint on the building and the melon focused art, and the same people have been working here over 30 years.  Think about that for a minute in a place as temporary as NYC, that's saying something.  Very Homey, comfortable atmosphere.  No frills, not even ice cream.  Just tasty burgers and cottage fries.  Here one burger is not quite enough for me.  When hungry, I'll order two and put my order for the second one in early.  Expect to spend $45, and outdoor seating is available. 
    Jackson Hole.  The only spot on my list with multiple locations, and they deliver as well.  I prefer the ones on 64th and 84th on 2nd ave.  The one on 64th has a western motif, and has a spot dear to my heart because it was the first time I ever had a high quality gourmet burger.  The walls are covered with old western movie posters, and the theme is carried further with props like leather saddles and snow shoes.  Pictures of John Wayne and Elvis Presley look down on you from the brick walls as you devour your large burger.  This place has wonderful pickles, and they are even free!  I also enjoy a Pepsi Float with my meal, and the ice cream mixes exceedingly well with the cola.  As for the burger itself, I always enjoy the flavor of the beef, it is unique and impossible to replicate elsewhere.  I think it is very high quality and it's very large at 8 ounces.  You are never hungry when you leave here.  The taste is also consistent store to store with always that unique quality flavor. 
    On 84th, there's an old gas pump and signs evocative of the 50s, as was popular in many American diners in the 70s and 80s.  Finally, the price is extremely affordable, the last great bargain in NYC, even less than shake shack, a poor fast food substitute, totally unworthy of their ridiculously long lines and wait times. 
    So if you're in nyc, and the craving for a burger comes and hits you, try one of these burger specialty restaurants, and be blown away at the depth of experience a nice hamburger meal can bring you, and don't be shy about smiling at those golden arches which bring back such great childhood memories, just try to avoid endulging yourself too much there, because I think we all know it's not the healthiest of moves.  Happy Burger and Fry munching, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment